I started writing this glimpse of a typical day as a WAHM mom shortly before Olive was born. Looking at it now, my life feels so different! Ah life was so easy back then. I’ll be posting another glimpse into how things have changed with two kids, but for now here is a day in my life pre-Olive.

Thursday, September 22, 2011.

7:15am – Charlie wakes up. Mr. Bee feeds him his morning bottle and changes him.  I grab my laptop that’s on my nightstand and quickly scan my emails.

7:30am – Charlie is standing at the gate at the top of the stairs calling Mommy over and over again, so it’s time to go upstairs. This white Carter’s onesie is Charlie’s uniform, and he’s been wearing one since he was 4 months old. He considers it his lovey, and touches the edges of the sleeves when he wants to soothe himself. We’re at the largest size they make now (24 months), so hopefully Charlie is ok without his beloved onesie once he outgrows it.


7:30am – 7:50am – I usually try to pack Charlie’s lunch the night before, but I need to add two more things this morning – breakfast sausage that defrosted in the fridge overnight, and bananas so they wouldn’t brown.  I do two loads of laundry while I’m packing his lunch which includes bananas, olives, broccoli, breakfast sausage, mac and cheese, yogurt covered raisins, and dried seaweed.

I always pack a breakfast snack as well like blueberry pancakes, a granola bar, or a muffin.

Meanwhile, Charlie is watching Elmo videos on Youtube with Mr. Bee.

7:50am – 8:25am – Charlie wanders off and we find him in his playroom (now Olive’s room), standing in his box of balls while playing with his Thomas trains.

My mom bought him these balls when he was 6 months old and he still plays with them all the time.

8:25am – 8:40am – It’s time to get dressed and leave for daycare!

8:45am – We run into a classmate who’s blowing bubbles on her front stoop!

Charlie has to join in on the fun. That’s a big bubble!

8:55am – Mr. Bee and I drop Charlie off at daycare. Each child has their picture at their seat at the kitchen table, and I provided one of Charlie eating to encourage him to eat!

9:10am – I arrive back home and Smokey starts meowing for attention.  I pet her for a little while.

9:20am – 12:30pm – Work on Hellobee. I was pregnant with Olive at the time, so you can see my bottle of Tums next to the computer for my heartburn.

12:30pm – 12:45pm – Eat lunch. Spicy sauteed calamari and vegetables with white rice and barley tea. I didn’t cook it — unless you count the rice and tea!

12:45pm – 4:30pm – Work.

4:30pm – I go to the market 2-3 times a week so I have fresh ingredients on hand for Charlie’s lunch. This market has great organic produce and antibiotic/hormone free meats.

Charlie always throws a fit at the olive bar (his favorite food) because he wants to eat them before we pay for them.

5:15pm – We have a playdate today with some good friends. Their daughter is the same age as Charlie, and they had a son 2 days after I had Olive! They’re going to serve pizza, and Charlie is the only kid who hates pizza so I always pack him a quick snack — some cheddar cheese, roast chicken, blueberries, and watermelon.

5:30pm – 6:00pm – Mr. Bee and I pick Charlie up from daycare, and go get coffee at our favorite local coffeeshop. Charlie loves his decaf lattes. It’s raining, but luckily Charlie had his umbrella and raincoat with him.

6:00pm – 7:30pm – Charlie has a blast, and since Mr. Bee and I are friends with the parents, we have fun too. We eat pizza for dinner here, but if we were at  home, we would probably eat something quick in front of the computer.

7:45pm – Arrive home. Typically Charlie is asleep by 7:30pm, but we let him stay up a little late today. As soon as we get home, it’s bath time!

8:00pm – 8:15pm – Get Charlie dressed in pj’s, give him his bedtime bottle, and put him to bed.

8:15pm – 9:45pm – Cook rice, fold 2 loads of laundry that I did in the morning, clean the kitchen area a bit, load dishwasher, take a shower.

9:45pm – 12:00am – Answer emails, write posts for next day, work.

12:00am – 12:50am – I try to sleep around midnight-ish, so I watch Glee while working/surfing the net on my laptop, then fall asleep around 12:50am.

We never have midweek playdates, so this wasn’t exactly a typical day. A more typical day pre-Olive would include me picking Charlie up from daycare, taking him to the playground and feeding him dinner there, giving him a bath and putting him to bed. Mr. Bee would arrive long after Charlie was fast asleep, and then both of us would work until midnight or so. If we’re awake, we’re usually spending time with Charlie or working. Alas, our lives are not very exciting.

Our days are definitely very different now that Olive is here. Stay tuned for the next installment of a typical day in the life of a WAHM!