Being a graphic designer, party planning is something I love to do. Thinking about unique ideas and themes and building a whole party around it is so much fun! So saying I started thinking and planning Mavrick's first birthday at the 6 month mark is no exaggeration. Ever since he was a baby, I always said Mavrick looked like one of those vintage babies, so the idea to have a vintage newspaper boy themed birthday party seemed to be the perfect match.
I asked my father to hand over months of newspapers (once he was done reading them, of course) and I used them throughout the event. I designed a vintage style newspaper invitation that I sent to family and friends just to give them a feel of what was to come (ha, the surprise that was awaiting them!).
For the decorations, I purchased Accordian Blue Paper Lanterns, crepe paper streamers and I DIY'd newspaper streamers to create the backdrop for the table. I also found some newsprint fabric on Etsy that I used as table runners. I had some left over white 17″ balloons that I hung from our maple tree, and purchased 36″ balloons and tied them around our pool. I used newsprint to DIY a “Mavrick” Banner I tied in the front of the table.
To go with the color theme of gray, white, black and blue, I opted to make a blue punch (which was really good, refreshing and easy to make -- see bottom of post for recipe). I also reused some baby food containers to serve as glasses. And I purchased some striped paper straws from Rock Paper Scissors (for a really good price) and wrapped the glasses with some newsprint fabric
Seeing as the theme was vintage related, I wanted the menu to reflect food from that time as well. I mean, why not go all that way? I made mini burgers, mini hot dogs, fries with vintage containers, mac & cheese, grilled cheese and smoked meat -- all homemade. I decided to put crudités in vases to make it more interesting, and I made salad on a stick consisting of tomato, cucumber, cheese and fresh basil.
As for the desserts I made, I awanted to make some sweets they had back in the day, so mini chocolate chip cookies, rice krispies squares, chocolate dipped marshmallows were a must and I also made cake balls, cupcakes, cake and mini fruit skewers. I even had bazooka gum, blue rock candy swizzle sticks and homemade popsicles.
For the cake, I decided to make it two-toned to mimic the colors of the newspaper. You don’t see it that clearly, but there was a beige and two grayish layers. I decided to make dots all over the cake just for the fun of it. I DIY'd a streamer cake topper with ribbon and fabric to really tie in the background decor and the cake.
What would be a birthday boy without a birthday hat? I DIY'd a newspaper hat with a big fat “1″ on it. He didn’t really love wearing it, but the cake distracted him so we were able to capture a few shots. Seeing as I wanted Mavrick to really indulge in his birthday cake, I made a mini vanilla cake for him with a little less sugar. Let me tell you he loved it, and of course there was cake all over the place.
The party was a huge success and everyone enjoyed the food and all the little details of the event. I couldn't have done it without the help of my family and friends. A shout out to my talented photographer friend Christina for capturing all these great memories.
- 36″ Balloons: Sucre + Confetti
- Invitations / Make a Wish Card : Sucre + Confetti
- Newspaper Print Fabric : 12$ / yard // Etsy Seller Cottonholic
- Drink Dispenser : 19$ // Costco
- Paper Straws : $5 for 144 // Rock Paper Scissors, Wiscasset, Maine 207-882-9930
- Blue Paper Lanterns : $8.99 // Martha Stewart Celebrate
- Cupcake Stand (DIYed with newpaper trim): $10 // Martha Stewart
- Coloured Streamers : $4 // Local Dollar Store
- Bazooka Gum & Sugar Swivel Sticks // Bulk Barn
- Vintage Milk Bottles // Already Owned (purchased at thrift shops)
- Two Sided Standing Frame : $0.99 // Ikea
- Blue Milk Basket // Already Owned (purchased at Home Sense)
- Vintage Straw Dispenser // Already Owned (purchased on Amazon)
- Paper containers & checkered wax paper // Gift (purchased at Abc Emballuxe)
Images courtesy of : Christina Esteban Photography
First Birthday Parties part 3 of 81. Evan's First Birthday Bash by Parties
2. Kayden's First Birthday by Parties
3. C'est la fete : Vintage Newspaper Boy by Mrs. Sunglasses
4. Little Marbles' First Birthday by Mrs. Marbles
5. Noelle's Dol | First Birthday by Mrs. High Heels
6. Modern Woodland Birthday by Mrs. Pen
7. Liam's Colorful & Fun 1st Birthday Party by mrs. tictactoe
8. Baby H's Rainbow 1st Birthday! by Mrs. Hopscotch