I love seeing what other mamas are carrying in their diaper bags, and I realize the contents change quite a bit with each new stage! I was at a baby birthday party the other day where there were parents of older kids, and one of them said, “One day, you will not need to lug around a stroller, diapers, a huge bag, a booster seat . . . look at my small purse!”
1. Kate Spade Nylon Diaper Bag – This is my dream diaper bag. One VERY important feature I wanted was a zipper! The diaper bag I had originally used did not have a zipper, and with all of the gear you have to carry just to go out with your LO you don’t want your items exploding everywhere. This bag has been amazing – the perfect size, with pockets for everything (including bottles and diapers), a travel changing pad (I believe this is an included accessory for most Kate Spade baby bags), and even a mini bag clipped inside for a pacifier. And while it is a nylon bag, which is great for messes/spills, it does not look or feel like a diaper bag. In short, I love this bag.
2. Nuk Design Orthostar Pacifier – Even though Baby Checkers doesn’t use these all the time, I always try to keep one in my bag just in case we need to be on the road during nap time. If it’s nap time and we’re in the car, this will knock her out in seconds. If not, Mr. Checkers and I get to be serenaded with whines and screams. Baby Checkers has always loved the Nuk pacifiers, and the designs are so cute!
3. Itzy Ritzy Zippered Wet Bag – I had more use for this when Baby Checkers was a newborn and had frequent PUTB (poops up the back). I use this as a storage bag for soiled/wet clothes, in case of accidents. I’m sure I’ll also have more use for this once we enter the wonderful world of potty training.
4. Playtex Twist & Grip Straw Cups – We tried a number of different straw cups with Baby Checkers, and I am a big fan of these for travel. I have never had a problem with these cups leaking, and they are also great for babies who are transitioning from the sippy to straw cups. They also come with minimal parts to clean.
5. Johnson’s Baby Hand and Face Wipes – These are handy, travel-size wipes I use to wipe up Baby Checkers’ hands and face after meals when we eat out. These are gentle, alcohol-free wipes and they smell great!
6. Bumkins Waterproof Superbib – This keeps my baby clean and dry when we go out to eat, and it takes up very little space in the bag.
7. Board Book – Baby Checkers LOVES books. Generally, any board book will do, but one of her favorites right now is Moo Baa La La La by Sandra Boynton. I love all of her books!
8. Lavanila Baby Block – This is a recent summer addition. There were so many times we would be outside with Baby Checkers and I would forget to put sunblock on her. The solution was to just throw a tube in my bag, and there it resides.
9. Munchkin Snack Catcher – We usually fill Baby Checkers’ snack trap with Multi-grain Cheerios for any and every outing.
10. Extra clothes – You always want to be prepared for accidents and unexpected weather! When she was a newborn, I used to pack at least 2 extra onesies and extra pair of pants; now I usually just pack an extra weather-appropriate top and bottom, and I always have a lightweight jacket on hand.
Other items I always have on hand include:
- My wallet, keys, mints, and iPhone 4s – an absolute must for all of those adorable picture-worthy moments
- Kiehl’s lip balm and my NARS blush
- A burp cloth, a toy, Pampers Cruisers – size 4, and baby wipes
Holy crap! Do you all carry a ton of items in your bag?