This is one of Mr. Marker’s favorite dinners. He loves casseroles! Which is fine by me because it works great for leftovers (which means less meals to cook during the week), and great for freezer meals that we can pop in the oven whenever we're ready. As we prepare for the baby to arrive, I've been stocking our freezer with easy favorites that even Mr. Markers will be able to handle. This one has been a standard in our rotation for years.
Makes one 9x13 pan or 2 smaller casseroles (eat one and freeze one!)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 lb. extra lean ground turkey
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1 15oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa (I use one of the medium variety for kick)
- 1 small can of sweet corn
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1 small can of diced green chilis
- your favorite hot sauce (optional)
- 8-10 large flour tortillas, halved or quartered so they fit in the pan
- 1 pkg shredded mexican cheese
- sour cream (or plain greek yogurt), avocado, extra hot sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare your pan with PAM.
Saute the onion in the olive oil until translucent. Add in ground turkey, cook through. Sprinkle taco seasoning over turkey just before done. Add in tomato sauce, salsa, green chilis, black beans, corn and hot sauce (if desired). Simmer to blend all of the flavors.
Begin with a layer of tortillas on the bottom of the pan. Add cheese, then top with a layer of the meat mixture. Repeat: tortillas, cheese, meat mixture. When you reach the top, layer with just tortillas and cheese on the very top.
Cover with aluminum foil (I also spray the foil so it doesn't stick to the cheese), bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Remove foil near the end to allow the cheese to brown on top.
Serve with plain greek yogurt or sour cream and avocado, and extra hot sauce if you like!