These are my newborn essentials for the first couple months of baby Markers’ life so far!
1. Aden + Anais swaddle blankets – Let’s just get this one out of the way! These swaddles make almost every new mom’s essentials list. I’ve been swaddling Baby Markers in these since the day we brought her home from the hospital and they’ve worked like a charm. I also like them for blankets or carseat covers when we’re out.
2. Carter’s Soft Cotton Bodysuits - Baby M wears these white Carter’s onesies almost every day. We put her in the short-sleeved version to sleep underneath her pajamas, and the long-sleeved version are great for lounging around the house. I plan to purchase each size so we’ll continue to use these as she grows.
3. MyBaby Homedics Humidifier and Soundspa - Since Baby M was born in the winter, the humidifier was a total necessity for us. Since we live in a one-bedroom condo, we also needed a sound machine to drown out noise from the other room. This product achieves both for us, and it’s great!
4. Motorola Digital Video Baby Monitor - We received this as a gift and promptly put it in storage, figuring we’d use it after we moved and have a larger place. Wrong! After the first week, we realized we couldn’t hear Baby M when she cried if we were sitting in the living room (the sound machine really works!). I also love the video feature – I can see when she spits out the pacifier and go in to re-insert before she starts to fuss. This has helped wonders in getting her to fall asleep on her own.
5. MAM newborn pacifiers - Baby M is not picky when it comes to nipples. Breast, bottle, pacifier – she’ll take them however she can get them! That being said, this was the one and only pacifier we tried and she took to right away. I use it when she’s fussing right before a nap or bedtime, and also in the car.
6. Honest Diapers & Wipes – I knew I wasn’t going to tackle cloth diapering, but I wanted to use a plant-based non-toxic disposable. Enter Honest – and we are hooked! We’ve had very few leaks or blowouts and the newborn size is still fitting her well at 6 weeks. You can’t beat the cute little designs! We also tried Seventh Generation disposables, but those did not fit her as well.
7. Fisher Price My Little Snugabunny Cradle n’ Swing - Before Baby M was born, I didn’t really understand the need for baby “containers.” I was confused about whether we would need a swing or a bouncy seat, or maybe both? I now understand that the true purpose during the first few weeks is to have somewhere safe to put the baby down, even if you just have to run to the bathroom. And not only is it safe, but it gives your tired arms a much needed break. Baby M has only fallen asleep in her swing a few times, but I can already tell that she’s starting to enjoy being in there for longer period of times while she’s awake.
8. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste – During our first few weeks home, Baby M’s bottom had a mean looking diaper rash that just about broke my heart. We tried Honest Healing Balm and Desitin, but neither worked to clear it up. I had a random sample of Boudreaux’s Butt Paste so I tried that, and voila! She healed up within a few days. Now we use it to prevent future rashes and she hasn’t had an issue since.
What are your newborn essentials? Anything crucial that I’ve left off this list?
Newborn Essentials part 4 of 111. My Top 15 Most Used Baby Products by Mrs. Bee
2. Absolute Essentials for a Newborn by Checklists
3. Newborn Essentials by Mrs. Hopscotch
4. Mrs. Markers' Newborn Essentials by Mrs. Markers
5. Newborn Sleep Essentials by Mrs. Checkers
6. The Essentials: Newborn Edition by mrs. tictactoe
7. Mrs. Sketchbook's Budget Gear Faves: Newborn to Six Months by Mrs. Sketchbook
8. Twin Newborn Essentials by Mrs. Blue
9. Top 10 adopted newborn essentials by Mrs. Jacks
10. Newborn Essentials by Mrs. Tea
11. New Mom Tips by Mrs. Bee