As adoptive mamas, we kind of get bonus baby stuff. We get to choose from the regular baby things at the store, but then we have this whole other category of specialness that we belong to! I love typing “adoption” into Etsy or Amazon just to see what comes up. Here are a few of my favorites.
1) Somewhere Between - This is on Netflix. Mr. Polish found it for me and told me I should watch it. I cried through the whole thing. It was amazing hear how adoptees feel about being adopted and how some don’t think of it, and others think of it all the time. I’d recommend this to anyone regardless if they’re adopting or not. I learned so much about the process in China.
2) National Geographic : China’s Lost Girls - This is on Netflix as well. This focused more on China than the other documentary did. Lisa Ling is the reporter, so it was nice to see a familiar face reporting.
3) Baby We Were Meant for Each Other: In Praise of Adoption - I got this book before Isaiah was born and loved it because it is a collection of stories from people who have been through what we have. I highly recommend.
4) Loved By Choice: True Stories that Celebrate Adoption - I haven’t read this, but it is on my wish list to read.
5) My Family, My Journey: A Baby Book for Adoptive Families – We have this baby book and love it. Traditional baby books cover pregnancy, but this one applies to the adopted family and has spaces for information about the birth family if you have it. Special occasions like Adoption Day are also included, along with birthdays.
6) Happy Adoption Day! – We haven’t read this children’s book, but I plan to buy it soon.
7) I Wished For You: An Adoption Story – I can almost read this to Isaiah now without crying. The first time I read it to him he was only a few days old, and I’m glad he couldn’t understand what was happening because I know I would have frightened him. This is such a beautiful story about Barley Bear asking his Mama Bear where he came from. It is truly touching.
8) Forever Family Necklace – An adorable etsy find.
9) Love Makes A Family Print - I think this is so sweet. We don’t all have to be the same to be a family.
10) Not Under My Heart, But In It Necklace – Another adorable etsy find.
11) Willow Tree “Child of my Heart” – My brothers think Willowtree is super creepy because they don’t have faces, but I just love this figurine that I got as a birthday gift this year.
12) We Match Hearts Print – This makes me cry every time I see it.
13) From the Very First Moment, You Had My Heart Print - I love all adoption prints, and this one is no exception.
14) I Will Come to You Print – Our adoption was domestic, but I love this for international adoptions.
15) Worth the Wait Onesie – Just so cute. Babies are definitely worth every minute of the wait.