When I was five, my kindergarten class made cinnamon dough ornaments and my mother still has them! And they still smell like cinnamon after 25 years! Every year, when we get out the Christmas ornaments at my parents’ house the smell of these ornaments transports me rapidly through the memories of the Christmases of my childhood. I wanted to have some for my house too, so Gemma and I got to working on them the other day. This is a pretty easy project and the ornaments also make great gifts. Here’s the recipe!
What you need:
- medium sized bowl
- 1 cup ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- Craft glue
- Rolling pin
- parchment paper
- Christmas cookie cutters
- One straw
- Baking sheet
- Length of thin ribbon for each ornament
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1 cup ground cinnamon and 1/4 cup applesauce using a rubber spatula.
- Stir in 1/2 cup craft glue. Stir the dough until consistency is smooth and dry. Let stand 1 hour.
- Turn out onto parchment paper.
- Flatten with a rolling pin to 1/4 inch thick. If dough becomes too dry, spritz with water. If it sticks to rolling pin or work surface, sprinkle with additional cinnamon.
- Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and add dates or names.
- With a straw, poke a hole in dough (for hanging).
- Air-dry ornaments on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 24 hours, turning them over every 6 hours or so to keep them flat.
- When dry add a ribbon and they are ready to use!
Christmas Posts part 16 of 191. 19 Holiday Kids' Crafts by Mrs. Bee
2. Holiday Gift Tags by printables
3. Watercolor Gift Tags by printables
4. Baby's First Holiday Ornament Roundup by Mrs. Marbles
5. Counting Down to Christmas - Book Advent Calendar by Mrs. Paintbrush
6. DIY Holly & Berry Balloon Garland by Brittany @ The House That Lars Built
7. 18 Child Friendly Christmas Tree Alternatives by Mrs. Bee
8. DIY Artwork Gift Tags by Caroline @ Armelle Blog
9. DIY Jingle Bell Ornament by Danyelle @ Dandee Designs
10. DIY Modern Christmas Tree Art by Caroline @ Armelle Blog
11. 42 Inspirational and Creative Ways to Wrap Gifts by Mrs. Bee
12. DIY Paper Houses by Oana Befort
13. Holiday Traditions by Swarm
14. Low/No Waste, Toddler-Proof Christmas DIYs by Mrs. Sketchbook
15. DIY Advent or Waldorf Birthday Ring by Mrs. Sketchbook
16. DIY Cinnamon Ornaments by Mrs. Palette
17. Be present not perfect: my new mantra for the holiday season by Mrs. Train
18. Santa is real in our house by Mrs. Train
19. Wreaths Across America by Mrs. Train