I love springtime – the weather is finally getting nice again and there is a hint of summer in the air… I finally start to feel like it’s actually coming! Of course, sometimes spring can get a little frustrating now that we have a toddler – all the rain can sometimes leave us feeling trapped inside when all he wants to do is play in the backyard. It’s hard to know what the weather will bring this time of year, so I set out to find a ton of ideas for both the sunny days and the rainy days!
So, if your kids are feeling bored this spring, why don’t you…
(via Playground Parkbench)
- Try this adorable baby bird fine motor activity.
- Make some DIY garden markers for your vegetable or herb garden.
- Make these homemade bird feeders
- Do some crafting with this Rain Cloud Craft or these raindrop suncatchers.
- Try a fun science activity and learn how water moves.
(via Kiwi Crate)
- Combine science and craftiness to make these adorable rainbow flowers.
- Encourage your kids to get some exercise by doing animal yoga.
- Go outside and do some spray chalk splatter painting.
- Put together a spring-themed fine motor tray.
(via Nurture Store)
- Learn about growing seeds.
- Create a carrot sensory tub for your toddler.
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt.
- Or, for the little ones, do a muffin tin nature hunt!
(via Moon Frye)
- Create a rock caterpillar for your garden!
- Make a bowling game with bottles and go bowling in the backyard…or, make an oversized memory game!
- Make your own sidewalk chalk to draw awesome artwork with.
- Learn about chromatography (and make some cute butterflies in the process!)
(via Alanna George)
- Learn about the butterfly life cycle.
- Build a hula hoop hideout in your backyard!
- Make some music with these DIY wind chimes.
- Play “Nature Hunt Bingo” (or, there’s another version here).
- Make puffy paint for your sidewalk – this is a fun alternative to chalk!
(via Mom Inspired Life)
- Go on a color hunt with your toddler or preschooler – this is the perfect time of year for this!
- Spread out a drop cloth and some paint and let your kid go to town in the yard!
- Let your toddler go fishing in the baby pool.
- Practice the alphabet with this really adorable chalk activity.
- Create your own clouds using a bar of soap.
(via Learn Play Imagine)
- Learn how clouds make rain with this fun science experiment.
- Then, learn how to make lightning!
- Get a little messy and make these awesome rainbow eruptions.
- Or, do this science experiment to create glowing flowers!
- Grab some sticks and rocks and play “twig tac toe”.
- Go on a “five senses” walk.
- Build a fairy garden.
(via Lemon Thistle)
- Take an old tree stump and create some building blocks!
- Or, make outdoor dice and play Yahtzee…
- …or make a giant Jenga set!
. . . . .
What are your favorite springtime activities?