Sometimes I find myself repeating the same things over and over to my kids. After another night of saying, “we don’t eat play-doh,” it made me think back on some of the common sayings I heard from my parents growing up!
- “If you say that one more time I’m going to clean your mouth out with soap!”
- “Do you think money grows on trees?”
- “Don’t sit too close to the TV; it’ll ruin your eyes!”
- “Don’t read in the dark, you’ll go blind!”
- “I just want what’s best for you”
- “This hurts me more than it hurts you”
- “Who said life was fair?”
- “When you have your own house, you can make your own rule.”
- “As long as you live under my roof, you do what I say.”
- “I don’t care who started it.”
- “Don’t cross your eyes, they’re going to freeze that way,”
- “You’ll understand when you’re older”
… and of course, the ever so popular, “I’m starting to sound like a broken record!”, which is how I’m feeling these days!
What common sayings did your parents say to you growing up? Which ones do you find yourself repeating?