I was induced for LeLe’s birth and I was scheduled for an induction for Little Bug’s birth, but I ended up going into labor early. I wrote this post a day before I went into labor.
My induction date is looming and I am trying to get mentally prepared for it. I am still hoping that this little guy will decide to come out of there sooner rather than having to be induced.
If I am dilated at all… I won’t know until the day before my induction is scheduled if I am dilated. My doctor thinks this is an unnecessary check because even if I am dilated today, it doesn’t really mean anything. I could stay dilated for another two weeks and not go into labor. However, if I am dilated at anything past a 1.5, my options open up a bit. Most doctors start with a cervical dilation medication which can be taken orally or vaginally. There are typically two options, Cytotec, also known as misoprostol. This is typically taken orally and can take some time to work. There have been some bad side effects from Cytotec so some women choose not to go this route. I will probably request to have Cervidil instead. Cervidil was created specifically for cervical dilation and is inserted vaginally to ripen the cervix. It also takes some time for it to work properly, but it is effective in most women. There is always the possibility that these will not work and at that point, your doctor will either declare a failed induction and send you home to try again in 48 hours, or you will move onto c-section.
Another option if you are dilated a bit is to start with Cytotec or Cervadil and also introduce a foley bulb into the cervix. This is a small balloon that is inserted into the cervix and filled with saline. The pressure from the balloon helps to stretch the cervix to 4 cm. Once you get to 4 cm, your water can be manually broken and that should kick start labor.
For me, I am expected to check in at 7:30 am and I will have to have one round of antibiotics immediately upon arrival due to a positive group B strep. They will start me on Cervadil (my request rather than Cytotec) and I will basically hang out for a couple of hours. My doctor would like to insert the foley bulb if I am at 2 cm or more. She thinks that because my body is already headed in that direction based on my contractions, I will be able to have the bulb inserted pretty soon after I get there.