These days we have been carrying TWO bags around: my diaper bag and what we call a potty bag. Here’s what we have in each.
- Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack. (I have a similar pattern in these same colors.) I am a diaper bag fanatic and this was my favorite diaper bag from when I was a SAHM with Wagon Jr. I love everything about it except for the fact that it’s a little tough to find things since it’s not wide open at the top. But the trade-off is that if you have to bend over, everything stays securely in the bag instead of sliding out. The best feature of this bag is the changing station– you just place the bag at the head of the changing table, zip down the sides, fold out the changing pad, and your diapers and wipes are right there. Easy to do one-handed while holding baby with the other arm. It also features a little zippered bag that acts as an inside pocket that’s attached by velcro. I can use this as my makeup/medicine bag and just pull it out and throw it into my purse along with my wallet and keys to transfer all my personal items from diaper bag to purse.
- Skip Hop Wipes Case. This is my favorite case since you can pull out wipes one-handed. I carry it around even when I’m not with the kids– baby wipes are so multi-functional! We fill it with Costco wipes– the BEST.
- Nursing Cover. I am horrible at nursing in public so I need a big nursing cover with a stiff top. Basically a big tent over my front. I would recommend a light-colored, thin cover.
- Nursing Pads. I always make sure I have a stash in every bag I have.
- Burp Cloths. I especially like this kind by Gerber because they’re very absorbent but thin and don’t take up a lot of space like the mini towel types do. (FYI– muslin burp cloths are NOT absorbent!)
- Sunscreen, Baby Sunblock, and Bug Spray. Must-haves for summertime.
- Baby K’Tan Breeze. I am totally in love with this carrier/wrap. Lil Miss Wagon likes being in a carrier and hates the carseat, so we always need one on hand in case she freaks out while we’re out. We have an Ergo which we love, but I find it complicated and cumbersome to pack up and take along. The K’Tan is not only super easy and quick to put on, but the sash reverses into its own carrying case and I can easily fit the small sack into my diaper bag.
- Change of clothes. Since Wagon Jr.’s extra clothes are in the potty bag, I only need to pack a change of clothes for LMW. I like one-pieces like this since you can roll it up and stuff it into the bottom of your bag.
- Wallet/Wristlet. I love this zip-around wallet with wrist strap because it fits my cell phone inside, so for quick trips out all I need is to grab this and my keys.
- Tote Bag. We use a simple tote similar to this since we don’t want to carry two diaper bags, and most diaper bags can’t fit a potty seat inside. Ours is actually a promotional tote from Wagon Sr.’s work and it has a few pockets and zippered compartments. I’m going to order a monogrammed LL Bean Zip Top Boat and Tote bag to replace this bag soon!
- Potty Seat. This is the seat we use at home. When we go out, we just grab the seat, wipe it down with an antibacterial wipe, and toss it in the tote.
- Flushable Wipes. For poops! We get ours from Costco.
- Antibacterial Wipes. To wipe down the potty seat and Wagon Jr.’s hands.
- Camelbak Water Bottle. This is one of the least leakiest water bottles I’ve tried.
- Ziploc bag with extra underwear, pants, t-shirt, and socks. If he has an accident, we change him into the extra outfit and use the ziploc bag to store his wet clothes in.
- Gummies. This is our on-the-go reward since they hold up better than M&Ms do.