Ever wonder how to make a simple wand for your fairy princess? Or maybe you are having a party and magic wands would be the perfect favor. Either way, make a wooden wand in an afternoon and give your little one hours of pretend time. Don't worry, it is really easy. The longest part of this tutorial is the painting time for the glitter paint.
You will need:
Take your dowel and sand down a 1 to 1.5 inch flat spot on one end. This will make a larger surface to glue on the star. Test how the star will fit and when done, dust gently with a soft cloth.
Add wood glue with a brush and press on to back of star. Hold with your fingers until set. Let dry on table until completely cured -- see directions on glue for exact times.
Once dry, get ready to paint. Take a paint brush and coat the entire wand with a light coat of glitter paint. Let dry. Repeat. Repeat Repeat. It will take several coats to build up the glitter, but the end result is worth it. I like to use glitter paint instead of glitter because the glitter pieces don't shed. It takes a little while longer because you have to layer the paint and wait between the coats, but the result is really pretty. The fact that it doesn't get glitter everywhere is always a bonus, especially for something in my little one's hands. Alternatively, a non-glitter option is that you could paint these with regular craft paint and only need about two coats. Perfect for wizards instead of princesses.
Add a ribbon by tying on and knotting right beneath the star. Curl the ends with scissors. Whether you make one or many, this little DIY will come in handy!
Parties part 6 of 161. DIY Smash Cake by Jenny @ Hank+Hunt
2. DIY Felt Crown by Jenny @ Hank+Hunt
3. DIY Personalized Crowns by Brittany @ The House That Lars Built
4. DIY Chalkboard Crown by Jenny @ Hank+Hunt
5. DIY Magic Wand by Jenny @ Hank+Hunt
6. DIY Wand by Jenny @ Hank+Hunt
7. DIY Mini Party Tent by Jenny @ Hank+Hunt
8. DIY Felt Birthday Bunting by Jenny @ Hank+Hunt
9. DIY crepe paper fringe chandeliers by Caroline @ Armelle Blog
10. party tassel garland by Caroline @ Armelle Blog
11. Balloon Birthday Invitation by DIY
12. DIY Watercolor Invitations by Caroline @ Armelle Blog
13. DIY Animal Favor Boxes by Jenny @ Hank+Hunt
14. Custom Print on Paper Bags by Caroline @ Armelle Blog
15. DIY Clown Cupcake Toppers by Jenny @ Hank+Hunt
16. Lollipop Balloons by Brittany @ The House That Lars Built